Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I'm currently comtemplating auditioning for Atlanta Lyric Theatre. I'm excited and scared to death. I haven't been in a play in almost 5 years. I've auditioned for a church choir and an a cappella group in that time, successfully, but that was 4 years ago. Most plays/musicals for which I've auditioned didn't require monologues or prepared pieces. I know I can do this, though. I prepared material for my audition for Governor's School way back in high school, and it was more involved than this.

I think part of the reason I broke away from theatre is that I felt like I wasn't being real. I spent so much time trying to become someone who was an actress, and forgot about that part where I become myself. I think I'd be a better actress now, having matured a bit, and having actually life experience now. Before, I was living a very sheltered life, comparitively-speaking. I'm also a lot more outgoing than I was before. I also think I am better at following directions.

Anyhow, what to prepare? I have a few pieces selected. It's funny. In our a cappella group, it isn't so much what our auditioners sing, it's more important that they demonstrate that they CAN sing. It matters a lot more. I'm trying to keep that in mind and not stress over my selections! I also don't want to choose the same pieces as everyone else, so I'll probably stay away from shows that toured here or put on in Atlanta recently. Still, it's hard to decide.

I hope that I can juggle my coaching and work responsibilities around it all, too.

We shall see what we shall see!

No comments: